Map of local attractions. Most of these are walking distance from the conference hotel (Hilton Nashville Downtown). Also shown are Vanderbilt University campus and its Institute for Software Integrated Systems (the home of the Local Organizers).
1. Country Music Hall of Fame (https://countrymusichalloffame.org/, Site of RTSS 2018 banquet, across from the conference hotel.)
Museum that preserves the history of country music.
2. Nashville Schermerhorn Symphony (https://www.nashvillesymphony.org). Right across from the conference hotel.
Nashville’s symphony, established in 1946, is one of Tennessee’s largest and longest-running non-profit performing arts organization. Handel’s Messiah will be playing from Dec 13th thru 16th. See https://www.nashvillesymphony.org/tickets/concert/2018-2019-season/handel-s-messiah-2018/ for more details.
3. Ryman Auditorium (https://www.ryman.com): World-famous performance hall with a lot of historical significance. Includes a museum. 2 minutes’ walk from the conference hotel.
Shows for December are not listed yet.
4. Johnny Cash Museum (https://www.johnnycashmuseum.com/)
Music museum featuring a comprehensive collection of Johnny Cash artifacts and memorablia.
5. Bridgestone Arena (https://www.bridgestonearena.com, adjacent to the conference hotel)
The 2018 Presidents Cup Winner Nashville Predators Ice Hockey team plays here. Ice hockey fans may want to book their tickets for Predator’s home game(s) during the conference. The NHL schedule is available here. The Predators will be playing the Ottawa Senators on Dec 11th, Vancouver Canucks on Dec 13th, and New Jersey Devils on Dec 15th.
6. Broadway Street (adjacent to the conference hotel)
All of the activity and night life. Several restaurants and souvenir shops are along this street.
7. Riverfront park (https://www.nashvilledowntown.com/go/riverfront-park, 0.9 mile walk from the conference hotel)
Go for a leisurely stroll along Nashville’s Cumberland river and view some historical artifacts.
8. Frist Art Museum (http://fristartmuseum.org/)
Frist Art Museum is a world class art museum and gallery. Current and upcoming exhibitions are listed here.
9. Tennessee Titans’ Nissan Stadium
The Titans, which is Tennessee’s Nashville-based NFL (American football) team plays their home games at this stadium. The stadium is on the other side of the Cumberland river and can be reached by the Shelby pedestrian bridge, which is only a 0.6 mile walk from the conference hotel.
10. Historic RCA Studio B (https://studiob.org/)
RCA Studio B is a musical heritage preserving the recording studio where thousands of songs have been recorded between the years of 1957-77 including those of stars like Elvis Presley and Dolly Parton. Located 1.4 miles from the conference hotel in the famous Music Row area of Nashville.
11. Centennial Park (https://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-Recreation/Parks/Centennial-Park.aspx)
Centennial Park is one of Nashville’s premier parks. It is located along West End avenue across from the Vanderbilt University campus. It hosts the world-famous, full-sized replica of the original Greek Parthenon. Centennial park is located approximately 2.5 miles from the conference hotel. Attendees can use Uber/Lyft or MTA bus number 3 or 5.
12. Bicentennial Capitol Mall Park (https://tnstateparks.com/parks/bicentennial-mall)
Provides a history of the state of Tennessee. The state Capitol building is adjacent to the park. Located approximately 1.5 miles from the conference hotel.
13. Opryland Hotel and Resort, Opry Mills Outlet Mall, General Jackson Boat, Ice sculptures, Grand Ole Opry (11 miles to the northeast of Nashville downtown).
Enjoy the beautiful resort tour including a boat tour, and Christmas holiday lighting at the Opryland Hotel and Resort. Visit the world famous Grand Ole Opry or take a cruise on the Cumberland river in the Jackson boat.
14. Adventure Science Center (http://www.adventuresci.org/)
The Adventure Science Center is Nashville’s science center where kids can enjoy many scientific exhibits. It hosts the Sudekum planetarium. The historic Fort Negley is located adjacent to the science center. Located 1.5 miles from the conference hotel.
15. Nashville Zoo (https://www.nashvillezoo.org/)
Opened in 1991, Nashville’s zoo provides a dynamic zoological park. Located 6 miles from the conference hotel.
16. Cheekwood Botanical Gardens (https://cheekwood.org/)
A 1930’s estate located on 55 acres provides Nashville’s botanical garden, a woodland sculpture trail and an art museum. Located about 10 miles southwest of downtown.
17. Percy and Edwin Warner Parks (15 miles southwest of downtown; within the city limits)
Those wanting to hike during winter in thickly wooded and hilly terrain right in the heart of the city, the Percy and Edwin Warner parks provide ample opportunities.
18. Jack Daniels Distillery (https://www.jackdaniels.com/en-us/visit-us, 72 miles southeast of Nashville)
World famous whiskey distillery along with tours.
19. Smoky Mountains National Park (190 miles to the east of Nashville)
World famous and most-visited National Park of the US. Camping, renting of chalets, etc. available.